Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Organics - A Place to Start

Well if you aren't interested in learning about organics, you might just want to skip this post! Otherwise, keep reading. {smiles}

I don't know about you, but for years I avoided organics. I figured I was fine, so my kids would be too. I felt that it was all too confusing and overwhelming. But recently, with so much info. readily available through the web and library, I have begun to sort through some things. Since I'm getting passionate about this, you will see it popping up on my blog quite often for awhile, I'm sure! I mentioned Sara Snow on my last post. Her book is great for beginners, very clear and simple! {smiles} One of the comments she makes is to not go through your cupboards and just throw everything away. Start with a few of the things you eat the most often and make the changes slowly. She also writes about the "dirty dozen" list. This is a list of foods that were tested for chemicals and pesticides present in edible form (banana peeled, apple washed, etc). She recommended that you start replacing the foods on that list first. Here is the list:

Dirty Dozen - buy these organic
Peaches
Apples
Sweet Bell Peppers
Celery
Nectarines
Strawberries
Cherries
Pears
Grapes (imported)
Spinach
Lettuce
Potatoes

Cleanest Twelve - Lowest in Pesticides
Onions
Avocade
Sweet Corn (frozen)
Pineapples
Mango
Asparagus
Sweet Peas (frozen)
Kiwi Fruit
Bananas
Cabbage
Broccoli
Papaya

We eat most of the fruits on the dirty dozen list! We especially go through apples, so today I stopped at the local produce store and picked up organic apples. My kids were so funny! They loved these apples! Abby ate 3 just this evening! Daniel ate his right up - right down to the core! They really do taste fresher and better. They are more nutrient rich because of the way they are farmed. A few weeks ago, I bought organic carrots because I noticed they were priced the same as the "regular" carrots. I couldn't believe how much better they tasted! I was also surprised when I took them out of the fridge a couple weeks later and found they had gone bad. I was so used to the carrots with all the chemicals and preservatives in them that last for a month or more. It was a wake-up call to me of how processed foods (even raw veggies) have become and how they are supposed to be.

Another change we are making is switching to organic Milk. But I suppose that is a post for another day. {Smiles}
Happy Researching and Happy Eating!
Not the greatest picture, but here is Daniel devouring his apple!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Organic bananas are the best tasting bananas that I have ever had. Try them!

Love you all