Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Merry Reading!

I love to read to my girls. But by bedtime, I am usually tuckered out myself and ready to get everyone asleep ASAP! Plus now that the older girls read to themselves 15-30 minutes a night for school, there just doesn't seem to be as much time for me to read to them. I decided this month, though, that I want to make a concerted effort to spend focused time with my girls each night, and to spend this time reading to them. I ordered a bunch of Christmas books from the library (yes, Trish, this is why you can't find the ones that you want!), and I plan to read one Christmas story to them each night this month. I will try to share the books with you on the blog, in case you want to read them with your kids. I love hearing about great books from other people.

Last night, we read "God Gave Us Christmas," by Lisa Tawn Bergren. This was a great book to start off with. It talked about the real meaning behind the Christmas celebration. It also mentioned Santa a few times, but focused on the generosity and giving spirit that he brings to Christmas (this was well written - it did not discount a child's belief or unbelief in Santa). But it kept the primary focus on God. It had beautiful illustrations and seemed right on level for Olivia. Abby and Eme enjoyed it too. I believe it is the second or third in a series so we will be checking out the others soon.

Merry Christmas and Happy Reading!

No comments: